영어성경묵상

영어성경묵상

교황님의 주일미사 강론(2023.04.02)

최고관리자
2023.04.22 13:54 451 0

본문

HOMILY OF HIS HOLINESS POPE FRANCIS, Celebration of Palm Sunday of the Passion of the Lord, St Peter's Square, Sunday, 2 April 2023

“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mt 27:46).  This is the cry that today’s liturgy has us repeat in the responsorial psalm (cf. Ps 22:2), the only cry that Jesus makes from the cross in the Gospel we have heard.  Those words bring us to the very heart of Christ’s passion, the culmination of the sufferings he endured for our salvation.  “Why have you forsaken me?”.

교황님의 주일미사 강론, 주님 수난 성지 주일, 성 베드로 광장, 2023. 4월 2일 

“저의 하느님, 저의 하느님, 어찌하여 저를 버리셨습니까?” “엘리 엘리 레마 사박타니?” (마태오 27,46) 이것은 오늘 전례가 우리에게 화답송 (시편 22,2 참조) 에서 되풀이하게 하는 외침이며, 우리가 들은 복음에서 예수님께서 십자가에서 하신 유일한 외침입니다. 이 말씀은 우리의 구원을 위해 예수님께서 견디신 고난의 정점인 그리스도의 수난의 핵심으로 우리를 이끕니다. “어찌 저를 버리셨습니까?”

The sufferings of Jesus were many, and whenever we listen to the account of the Passion, they pierce our hearts.  There were sufferings of the body: let us think of the slaps and beatings, the flogging and the crowning with thorns, and in the end, the cruelty of the crucifixion.  There were also sufferings of the soul: the betrayal of Judas, the denials of Peter, the condemnation of the religious and civil authorities, the mockery of the guards, the jeering at the foot of the cross, the rejection of the crowd, utter failure and the flight of the disciples.  Yet, amid all these sorrows, Jesus remained certain of one thing: the closeness of the Father.  Now, however, the unthinkable has taken place.  Before dying, he cries out: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”  The forsakenness of Jesus.

예수님의 고난은 많았고 수난 이야기를 들을 때마다 우리의 마음을 찌릅니다. 육체의 고통 즉, 뺨을 때리고, 매질을 하고, 채찍질하고, 가시 면류관을 씌우고, 그리고 결국엔 잔인한 십자가 처형이 있었습니다. 또한 영혼의 고통 즉, 유다의 배반, 베드로의 부인, 종교 및 행정 당국의 유죄선고, 간수들의 조롱, 십자가 아래에서의 야유, 군중의 배척, 완전한 실패, 그리고  제자들의 도피가 있었습니다. 그러나 이 모든 슬픔 속에서도 예수님은 한 가지를 확신하고 계셨습니다. 그것은 아버지께서 가까이 계시다는 것이었습니다. 그러나 이제 상상도 할 수 없는 일이 벌어졌습니다. 죽기 전에 그분은 외치십니다. “저의 하느님, 저의 하느님, 어찌하여 저를 버리셨습니까?” 예수님이 버려지셨습니다.

This is the most searing of all sufferings, the suffering of the spirit.  At his most tragic hour, Jesus experiences abandonment by God. Prior to that moment, he had never called the Father by his generic name, “God”.  To convey the impact of this, the Gospel also reports his words in Aramaic.  These are the only words of Jesus from the cross that have come down to us in the original language.  The real event is the extreme abasement, being forsaken by the Father, forsaken by God.  We find it hard even to grasp what great suffering he embraced out of love for us.  He sees the gates of heaven close, he finds himself at the bitter edge, the shipwreck of life, the collapse of certainty.  And he cries out: “Why?”  A “why” that embraces every other “why” ever spoken.  “Why, God?”.

이것은 모든 고통 중에서 가장 극심한 고통, 영혼의 고통입니다. 이 가장 비극적인 순간에 예수님은 하느님께 버려지는 경험을 하십니다. 그 순간 이전에 그분은 아버지를 포괄적인 이름인 “하느님”으로 부른 적이 없으십니다. 이것의 영향을 전달하기 위해 복음서도 그분의 말씀을 아람어로 표기합니다. 이것은 원어로 우리에게 내려온 십자가에서의 예수님의 유일한 말씀입니다. 실제의 사건은 아버지로부터 버려지고 하느님으로부터 버려지는 극도의 실추입니다. 그분이 우리를 사랑하시기에 끌어안으셨던 그 고통이 얼마나 컸는지 우리는 이해하기조차 어렵습니다. 그분은 천국의 문이 닫히는 것을 보시고 자신이 쓰라린 가장자리, 삶의 난파, 확신의 붕괴에 처해있는 것을 발견하십니다. 그리고 그분은 외치십니다. “왜?” 지금까지의 다른 모든 “왜”를 끌어안는 “왜”입니다. “하느님, 왜?”

“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”  In the Bible, the word “forsake” is powerful.  We hear it at moments of extreme pain: love that fails, or is rejected or betrayed; children who are rejected and aborted; situations of repudiation, the lot of widows and orphans; broken marriages, forms of social exclusion, injustice and oppression; the solitude of sickness.  In a word, in the drastic severing of the bonds that unite us to others.  There, this word is spoken: “abandonment”.  Christ brought all of this to the cross; upon his shoulders, he bore the sins of the world.  And at the supreme moment, Jesus, the only-begotten, beloved Son of the Father, experienced a situation utterly alien to his very being: abandonment, the distance of God.

“저의 하느님, 저의 하느님, 어찌하여 저를 버리셨습니까?” 성경에서 “버리다”라는 단어는 강력합니다. 우리는 그 단어를 다음과 같은 극심한 고통의 순간에 듣습니다. 사랑이 실패하거나 거부되거나 배신당할 때, 아이들이 거절당하고 낙태될 때, 거부되는 상황들, 수많은 과부들과 고아들, 깨어진 결혼, 사회적 배제의 형태, 불의와 억압, 질병의 고독 등입니다. 한마디로, 우리를 다른 사람들과 결합시키는 결속을 급격하게 절단하는 것입니다. 거기에서 "버림"이라는 이 단어가 사용됩니다. 그리스도께서 이 모든 것을 십자가로 가져오셨습니다. 그분은 자신의 어깨에 세상 죄를 짊어지셨습니다. 그리고 가장 중요한 순간에, 독생자이시며 사랑받는 아버지의 아들이신 예수님께서 자신의 존재와 완전히 생경한 상황, 즉 버림, 하느님과의 거리를 경험하셨습니다.

Why did it have to come to this?  He did it for us.  There is no other answer.  For us.  Brothers and sisters, today this is not merely a show.  Every one of us, hearing of Jesus’ abandonment, can say: for me.  This abandonment is the price he paid for me.  He became one with each of us in order to be completely and definitively one with us to the very end.  He experienced abandonment in order not to leave us prey to despair, in order to stay at our side forever.  He did this for me, for you, because whenever you or I or anyone else seems pinned to the wall, lost in a blind alley, plunged into the abyss of abandonment, sucked into a whirlwind of so many “whys” without an answer, there can still be a hope: Jesus himself, for you, for me. 

왜 여기까지 와야 했습니까? 그분이 우리를 위해 그렇게 하셨습니다. 그 외에 다른 답은 없습니다. 형제자매 여러분, 오늘 이것은 단순한 쇼가 아닙니다. 우리 모두는 예수님의 버림을 들으면서 이렇게 말할 수 있습니다. 나를 위해. 이 버림은 그분이 나를 위해 지불하신 대가입니다. 가장 끝까지 우리와 완전히 그리고 결정적으로 하나가 되기 위해서 그분은 우리 각자와 하나가 되셨습니다. 그분은 우리를 절망에 빠뜨리지 않기 위해, 영원히 우리 곁에 머물기 위해 버림을 경험하셨습니다. 그분은 이것을 나를 위해서, 당신을 위해서 하셨습니다. 왜냐하면 당신 또는 나 또는 어느 다른 사람이 벽에 갇히고, 막다른 골목에서 길을 잃고, 버림의 심연으로 빠지고, 답이 없는 수많은 “왜”의 회오리바람에 빨려 들어가는 것처럼 보일 때마다 여전히 희망이 있을 수 있기 때문입니다. 그 희망은 당신과 나를 위한 예수님 자신이십니다.

It is not the end, because Jesus was there and even now, he is at your side.  He endured the distance of abandonment in order to take up into his love every possible distance that we can feel.  So that each of us might say: in my failings, and each of us has failed many times, in my desolation, whenever I feel betrayed or betrayed others, whenever I feel cast aside or have cast aside others, whenever I feel forsaken or have abandoned others, let us think of Jesus, who was abandoned, betrayed and cast aside.  There, we find him.  When I feel lost and confused, when I feel that I can’t go on, he is beside me.  Amid all my unanswered questions “why...?”, he is there.

그것이 끝이 아닙니다. 예수님께서 거기에 계셨고 지금도 당신 곁에 계시기 때문입니다. 그분은 우리가 느낄 수 있는 모든 가능한 거리를 당신의 사랑 안으로 받아들이기 위해 버림의 거리를 견디셨습니다. 그래서 우리 각자는 다음과 같이 말할 수 있습니다: 나의 실패 속에서, 우리 각자는 여러 번 실패했습니다, 나의 황폐 속에서, 내가 배신당했다고 느끼거나 다른 사람을 배신했을 때, 내가 내쫓겼다고 느끼거나 다른 사람을 내쫓았을 때, 버려졌다고 느끼거나 다른 사람을 버렸을 때마다, 버려지셨고, 배신당하셨고, 내쫓기셨던 예수님을 생각합시다. 거기에서 우리는 그분을 발견합니다. 내가 상실과 혼란을 느낄 때 내가 더 이상 나아갈 수 없다고 느낄 때 그분이 곁에 계십니다. 나의 모든 대답 없는 질문 “왜?” 가운데에 그분이 거기에 계십니다.

That is how the Lord saves us, from within our questioning “why?”  From within that questioning, he opens the horizon of hope that does not disappoint.  On the cross, even as he felt utter abandonment – this is the ultimate end – Jesus refused to yield to despair; instead, he prayed and trusted.  He cried out his “why?” in the words of the Psalm (22:2), and commended himself into the hands of the Father, despite how distant he felt him to be (cf. Lk 23:46) or rather, whom he did not feel, for instead he felt himself abandoned.  In the hour of his abandonment, Jesus continued to trust.  At the hour of abandonment, he continued to love his disciples who had fled, leaving him alone.  In his abandonment he forgave those who crucified him (v. 34).  Here we see the abyss of our many evils immersed in a greater love, with the result that our isolation becomes fellowship. 

그것이 주님께서 우리를 구원하시는 방법입니다. 우리의 “왜?”라는 질문으로부터 우리를 구원하십니다. 그 물음 속에서 그분은 실망시키지 않는 희망의 지평을 여십니다. 십자가 위에서 완전한 버림을 느끼면서까지 – 절대적인 끝 - 예수님께서는 절망에 굴복하기를 거부하시고  대신에 기도하시고 믿으셨습니다. 그분은 시편의 (22,2)의 말씀으로 “왜?”를 외치셨고, 아버지의 손에 자신을 맡기셨습니다. 아버지가 멀리 계시다고 느꼈음에도 불구하고 (루카 23,46 참조) 또는 아버지를 느끼지 못하고 자신이 버려졌다고 느꼈음에도 불구하고 아버지의 손에 자신을 맡기셨습니다. 자신의 버림의 시간에도 예수님은 계속해서 믿으셨습니다. 버림의 시간에 그분은 자신을 혼자 놔두고 도망간 제자들을 계속해서 사랑하셨습니다. 자신의 버림 중에 그분은 자신을 십자가에 매달은 사람들을 용서하셨습니다. (34절) 여기에 우리는 우리의 많은 악이 더 큰 사랑에 잠겨 결과적으로 우리의 고립이 동료애가 되는 심연을 봅니다.

Brothers and sisters, a love like this, embracing us totally and to the very end, the love of Jesus, can turn our stony hearts into hearts of flesh.  His is a love of mercy, tenderness and compassion.  This is God’s style: closeness, compassion and tenderness.  God is like this.  Christ, in his abandonment, stirs us to seek him and to love him and those who are themselves abandoned.  For in them we see not only people in need, but Jesus himself, abandoned: Jesus, who saved us by descending to the depths of our human condition.  He is with each of them, abandoned even to death… I think of the German so-called “street person”, who died under the colonnade, alone and abandoned.  He is Jesus for each of us.  So many need our closeness, so many are abandoned.  I too need Jesus to caress me and draw close to me, and for this reason I go to find him in the abandoned, in the lonely. 

형제자매 여러분, 우리를 온전히 품고 끝까지 감싸 안아주는 이러한 사랑, 예수님의 사랑이 우리의 돌과 같은 마음을 부드러운 마음으로 변화시킬 수 있습니다. 그분의 사랑은 자비와 온유와 연민의 사랑입니다. 이것이 하느님의 스타일입니다: 친밀함, 연민, 다정함. 하느님은 이러십니다. 그리스도께서 그분의 버려짐 가운데 우리를 감동시켜 그분을 찾고, 그분을 사랑하고, 버려진 사람들을 사랑하게 하십니다. 그들 안에 우리는 도움이 필요한 사람들뿐만 아니라 버려진 예수님 자신을, 우리 인간조건의 깊은 곳까지 내려오심으로써 우리를 구원하신 예수님을 보기 때문입니다.  그분은 그들 각자와 함께 계십니다. 버려지고 죽기까지 하신.... 저는 콜로네이드 아래에 홀로 버려져서 죽은 독일인 소위 “거리의 사람”을 생각합니다. 그는 우리 각자에게 예수님입니다. 너무 많은 사람들이 우리의 친밀함을 필요로 하고 너무 많은 사람들이 버려집니다. 저 또한 저를 어루만져 주시고 저에게 가까이 오시는 예수님을 필요로 합니다. 그렇기 때문에 저는 버려지고 외로운 사람들 안에서 그분을 찾으러 갑니다.

He wants us to care for our brothers and sisters who resemble him most, those experiencing extreme suffering and solitude.  Today, dear brothers and sisters, their numbers are legion.  Entire peoples are exploited and abandoned; the poor live on our streets and we look the other way; there are migrants who are no longer faces but numbers; there are prisoners who are disowned; people written off as problems.  Countless other abandoned persons are in our midst, invisible, hidden, discarded with white gloves: unborn children, the elderly who live alone: they could perhaps be your father or mother, your grandfather or grandmother, left alone in retirement homes, the sick whom no one visits, the disabled who are ignored, and the young burdened by great interior emptiness, with no one prepared to listen to their cry of pain.  And they find no path other than suicide.  The abandoned of our day.  The “Christs” of our day.

그분은 우리가 그분을 가장 많이 닮은 형제자매들, 극심한 고통과 고독을 겪고 있는 형제자매들을 돌보기를 바라십니다. 사랑하는 형제자매 여러분, 오늘날 그들의 수는 대단히 많습니다.  수많은 사람들이 착취당하고 버려집니다. 가난한 사람들은 우리 거리에 살고 있고 우리는 다른 곳을 바라봅니다. 더 이상 얼굴이 아니라 숫자인 이민자들이 있습니다. 의절된 수감자들이 있습니다. 문제라고 결손 처리된 사람들이 있습니다. 수많은 다른 버려진 사람들이 우리 가운데에 있습니다. 눈에 보이지 않고, 숨겨져 있고, 흰 장갑을 끼고 버려진 사람들, 태어나지 않은 아이들, 혼자 사는 노인들, 그들이 당신의 아버지 또는 어머니, 양로원에 홀로 남겨진 당신의 할아버지 또는 할머니일 수 있습니다. 아무도 방문하지 않는 환자, 아무도 본척하지 않는 장애인들, 내면의 공허함에 짓눌리고 아무도 그들의 고통의 외침을 들어주지 않는 젊은이들이 있습니다. 그들은 자살 이외의 다른 길을 찾지 못합니다. 그들은 우리 시대의 버려진 사람들입니다. 그들은 우리 시대의 “그리스도들”입니다.

Jesus, in his abandonment, asks us to open our eyes and hearts to all who find themselves abandoned.  For us, as disciples of the “forsaken” Lord, no man, woman or child can be regarded as an outcast, no one left to himself or herself.  Let us remember that the rejected and the excluded are living icons of Christ: they remind us of his reckless love, his forsakenness that delivers us from every form of loneliness and isolation.  Brothers and sisters, today let us implore this grace: to love Jesus in his abandonment and to love Jesus in the abandoned all around us.  Let us ask for the grace to see and acknowledge the Lord who continues to cry out in them.  May we not allow his voice to go unheard amid the deafening silence of indifference.  God has not left us alone; let us care, then, for those who feel alone and abandoned.  Then, and only then, will we be of one mind and heart with the one who, for our sake, “emptied himself” (Phil 2:7).  He emptied himself completely for us.

예수님께서 그분의 버림 안에서 우리에게 청하십니다. 버려진 모든 사람들에게 우리의 눈과 우리의 마음을 열라고 청하십니다. “버려진” 주님의 제자들인 우리에게는 아무도 어떤 사람도 버려진 사람으로 여겨질 수 없습니다. 아무도 자신에게만 맡겨진 사람으로 여겨질 수 없습니다. 거부되고 제외된 사람들은 그리스도의 살아있는 아이콘들이라는 것을 기억합시다. 그들이 우리에게 그리스도의  앞뒤를 가리지 않는 사랑과 그리스도의 버려짐을 환기시킵니다. 그분의 버려짐은 우리를 모든 형태의 외로움과 고립에서 구해줍니다. 형제자매 여러분, 오늘 우리 다음과 같은 은총을 간청합시다. 그분의 버림 안에 계신 예수님을 사랑하는 은총, 우리 주변의 모든 버려진 사람들 안의 예수님을 사랑하는 은총을 청합시다. 그들 안에서 계속해서 외치시는 주님을 보고 알아보는 은총을 청합시다. 무관심의 귀머거리 침묵 가운데에서도 그분의 목소리를 놓치지 않고 들을 수 있도록 해주소서! 하느님께서 우리를 홀로 두지 않으셨습니다. 그러므로 외롭고 버려진 느낌을 갖는 사람들을 돌봅시다. 그러면 우리는 우리를 위해 “자신을 비우신” (필리피 2,7) 그분과 한 생각 한 마음이 될 것입니다. 그분은 우리를 위해서 자신을 완전히 비우셨습니다.

한글 번역: 윤영학 아오스딩

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.